Sunday, March 6, 2011

Artist Statement of Sorts

I've begun to realize for myself that my work has been getting more specific. Regardless of how many mediums I use, they revolve around very similar ideas.

The collage and words with friends lately have helped me pinpoint a lot of what my work is about.
Women have always played a large role in my work. I've always attempted to explain this but I've never been able to explain in a way that has ever been satisfying for myself and certainly not for others.
The work has to do with my upbringing, being a heterosexual male, and dealing with a history of violence against women in my life.
There was a part of this too that was been brought up most recently. Lindsey Mason told me I had a complex related to women. Much like someone would have a complex like OCD. Which is an interesting statement to make and something I found to be really profound. Something I want to think further on.
The collage/paintings I make now are multi faceted. They're idealistic views of women from magazines yes, and they are chosen based upon this history of mine within these major themes of upbringing, abuse, and sexuality.

Performance and facilitating, the other part of my art making that has become important to me. A lot of the performance I do relates to the above statement about my paintings as well. There are very few that cannot be connected to the rest of my work.
There is an idealism within the performance as well. Ideas of utopia, peace, growth, and impacts on history an artist can make upon a bystander.

I think both of these aspects of my work will become more and more connected. In fact they may already be unified and I just haven't found a way to express that yet. It is coming though. I am excited by new thoughts and ideas I have now.

2 comments:

Aaron Berger said...

we should talk about this further in RL

Unknown said...

We shall